Dublin, Republic of Ireland
about 1 month ago
Position: Technical Manager
Salary: Neg DOE
An exciting opportunity to join Ireland's leading independent manufacturer of concrete products, bituminous and construction materials. Due to continued expansion the client are currently looking for a Technical Manager to take primary responsibility for the quality and technical function of our Road Surfacing Business.
The role will also include responsibility with regard to materials operational improvement and efficiency at our asphalt production plants including control of RAP materials. While this role is primarily Dublin based, the position will require significant travel to other company locations and customer sites.
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Proactively manage and develop the Road Surfacing technical and quality function in line with product regulatory requirements, industry best practice and the company's operational and commercial objectives.
- Champion a robust and progressive quality culture within the Road Surfacing division and build upon the strong reputation enjoyed by the company within the wider construction sector.
- Set and maintain standards and behaviours for continuous improvement by promoting employee and sub-contractor buy-in and accountability. Active engagement in improving product and process quality as well as minimizing risk, nonconformities and associated costs.
- Review of all incoming contract specifications as part of tendering and contract vetting to ensure materials, specification, installation and testing requirements are interpreted and understood as well as communicated appropriately to internal and contract personnel. Identifying anomalies within specifications as well as opportunities to upsell and communicating and agreeing these with the client.
- Lead and manage the contract specific site testing function including management of a designated Field Technician and all subcontracted testing requirements.
- Development of high-quality training information. Delivery of both on and off the site Technical Training to Road Surfacing colleagues and sub-contractors.
- Carrying out frequent site visits to inspect on site practices and workmanship. Initiating improvements where required.
- Ensure sampling and testing practices are carried out to required standards and that equipment is maintained in required working order.
- Report to Senior Management within both the Road Surfacing and Technical teams on product quality and progress against objectives at agreed intervals.
- Monitor quality and conformity of all products supplied / used on projects and ensure that when required appropriate corrective action(s) are agreed upon and implemented with Production / Operations Management in a timely manner.
- Actively monitor current and emerging industry trends, customer and business requirements to identify and implement industry best practices as well assisting with the development of new products, processes and systems.
- Ensure the company participates and feeds into relevant product standard committees, trade bodies and industry associations and that relevant outputs are communicated within the company.
- Monitor product standards, specifications, relevant national and international requirements and ensure that changes are highlighted when there is a commercial, production or technical implication.
- Demonstrate a lead by example approach to all aspects of Health & Safety, be fully compliant with Company Health & Safety: policies, procedures, systems and rules, report all hazards and incidents and ensure that you work safely at all times.
Qualifications & Experience
- A recognised 3rd level qualification in one or more of the following areas is preferred; Civil Engineering, Asphalt Technology, Quality Management.
- Detailed experience current asphalt related standards and specifications.
- Ideally 5-10 years' experience working in either a Supervisory or Technical role in the asphalt / quarry products industry.
- Broad Technical experience across a wide range of materials and processes in the building materials / quarry products industry is highly desirable.
- Must be able to demonstrate experience of onsite Technical support.
- Strong sectoral knowledge of asphalt production and laying, associated products and market / product trends.
Skills & Abilities
- Willingness to carry out physical activities associated with sampling and testing of construction materials.
- Strong IT and report writing skills. Fully proficient with all Microsoft Office applications, in particular Microsoft Excel.
- Familiarity with material testing software for construction products would be beneficial.
- Strong presentation and communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent time management ability.
- Willingness to undertake further study if required.
- A full driving licence valid in Ireland.
Technical Manager (Asphalt Roadsurfacing + Operational Improvement)
If this role is of interest to you please submit your CV today and one of our consultants will call you to discuss in detail. Or feel free to contact Helen on 086 0405288 for more information